Monday, August 23, 2010

Five Ways to Respond to Literature

How you respond to a text depends on how you look at a text


If you see a text as . . .
you might respond to it with . . .
that answers the question . . .
a source of information
a summary
what does it say?
a work of art
an aesthetic analysis
why does it please/entertain/move readers?
an act of persuasion
an ideological analysis
what values does it affirm and challenge?
an observation about life
a personal essay
how can I relate this to my own life?
a model
a similar text
can I write something like that?

Definitions
Aesthetics. Theory of the taste and the perception of the beautiful in nature and art.
Ideology. A scheme of ideas (about what is moral, normal rational, just, beautiful, etc.), especially one that is held implicitly.
Implicit.  Implied, inferred; Not stated openly or directly.

3 comments:

  1. In school, I usually see a text as an assignment - a task I have to complete - so I respond to it by writing whatever it is I think is required to get the grade I want. For me that's 89.5 - an A but with the least effort possible. I know some people who are looking for 69.5, just enough for credit. And that's the way I have seen and responded to literature. To think about the way seeing it that way more or less determines how I respond is an interesting idea. Let's see, I can also see it as stupid BS, as a waste of my time, as the Emperor's New Clothes,... I once heard a teacher say that when I think a work of literature is stupid I should look in the mirror. But am I supposed to trust that all literature is great? Maybe some of it is stupid!

    Not Dr. Benton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two dangers to avoid when approaching literature:
    1) Uncritical veneration (based on the assumption that all literature is great and only stupid people do not appreciate this fact);
    2) Casual dismissal (based on the assumption that if your first reaction to a literary text is negative, no further engagement will be worth your time or energy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things to remember when approaching literature:
    1) Appreciation of literary texts is often an acquired taste;
    2) You don’t have to enjoy a text or agree with its values in order to benefit from studying it.

    ReplyDelete